Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Death of bin Laden

Disbelief, excitement, anger, pride, and relief were just a few of the emotions I felt Sunday as I saw the first tweet exclaiming the death of one of our greatest enemies.  Almost 10 years ago, his plan to attack us on our soil was accomplished with devastating results.  It shocked our consciences and took away our sense of security; a security that had been shaken only once before and hadn't been experienced by many of us alive today.

I'm quite comfortable saying that I am glad that bastard is dead.  And I cannot even begin to express my thanks and pride for the men and women who put that mad dog down.  But my exhilaration is tempered.  I do no believe the fight is over.  The network of thugs we chase is not crazy.  They are neither dumb nor ignorant.  They are patient and thoughtful.  And it is because of this that I am concerned that the event on Sunday may make us less vigilant.  As Americans we can no longer afford to return to a more innocent time.  While most of us will never walk the line between safety and the threats to our safety, we must now always remain aware that that wall exists and that it can be breached.

We have said for a decade that it is not a matter of "if" another attack occurs but "when" it will occur.  This has not changed.  It might never change.  To protect our safety and freedom we must be vigilant but not paranoid.  We must be questioning but respectful.  We must understand and not stereotype.  We must defeat our enemy but measure the means by which we bring defeat to his doorstep.

As a patriot I believe we can and must do this.  We are after all, still the greatest country on the planet.

Dor

No comments:

Post a Comment